Thursday, June 14, 2012

Review: The Glimpse by Claire Merle




I was confused when I first read it. I’m still confused now that I’ve finished it. The Glimpse is a very different take on dystopian genre. Sanity has never been deeply questioned, and people in dystopian worlds usually struggle with physical enemy like war, famine, or lack of natural resources. The Glimpse shows a frightening possibility of economic collapse and how government discriminates people by their DNA tests. I have to say that the idea is very original and it held such amazing premise.

However, there are parts in this book that bugged me. I didn’t understand the world. I had to restart reading it after forty pages because I couldn’t understand the story. Is it just me or the dialogues are really complicated? Sometimes I just hope that the characters would say the reason or fact out loud so I could understand what they mean. The answers in this book are implied, not stated. Sometimes I like it, but most of the time, I was simply lost.

With all the adventures and troubles Ana faced, I should have felt some kind of connection toward her. However, I wasn’t deeply emotionally invested with her. I know she’s smart, but most of the time she has a knack of not thinking ahead. Ana was instantly drawn to Cole, the main interest of this story, and I found their instant romance hard to believe. Maybe they’re meant to be, just like ‘the glimpse’, some sort of prophecy that Cole had seen in his dream, showed. However, I think the time is too short for Ana to hopelessly fall in love with Cole. I also think it very strange that the title of this book is ‘The Glimpse’, since in my opinion we are given very little information about the glimpse. It wouldn’t hurt if Jasper could have a bigger part in this book too.

I usually avoid books which involve mental institution since I always feel sorry for the patients. The mental institution in this book is horrible. I hate the absurd, crazy, and ridiculous treatment they give to the patients. The doctors and nurses are supposed to help, not making the patients worse. It’s impossible to lead a normal life after you’ve experienced living there, just like Ana discovered later.

For me, The Glimpse is a take it-or-leave it book. I like it but there are some flaws I just can’t ignore. If you’re interested in psychology, then you may want to give this book a go. I like reading Ana’s deep thinking, and she’s certainly a very interesting character to watch!

She wondered if what she was doing proved more than any suicidal mother or DNA tests that she belonged among the Crazies. The deceit, the danger, her curiosity – surely a normal Pure girl would be running for her life right now? But Ana was still there. Because, beneath her determination to help Jasper, there was also the fact that she’d been waiting years to take control of her future. Because like a wooden puppet in a fairy tale, when she’d ventured into the City, the strange, dark place had brought her to life.

 


 

I rate this book:
                                   Three cups of tea. I like it.  Recommended to read in spare time.

17 comments:

  1. The Glimpse sounds like a really interesting read. It's too bad you didn't like it but i still want to give this a go.

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had such high hopes for this one. I'm sorry to her you were disappointed in it! Sounds like I would have the same problems with it that you did. I hate when things are too confusing or not explained well enough. That and the instant romance make me doubt I'm going to like it =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate it when I feel confused in a story. I also hate it when the main character is supposed to be smart and yet they make stupid decision after stupid decision! I want to pull my hair out after a while! Sorry this wasn't as good as you wished, Hilda. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. >.> Gah, I sincerely detest instant love. For me, the romance is a huge part in how much I end up enjoying the book or not. However, I do like the idea of psychology so perhaps I'll check it out some day. :3

    Thanks for your honesty, Hilda! <3 Love your reviews. <33

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really am tired of instant love, unless it's done in a way that makes sense within the story or something, you know? I am fascinated by pyschology so some of this sounds interesting to me...but I don't know. I feel like I'd get lost too, and I'm not really looking for a book these days where I have to think too much about what's happening. I'd rather think about other issues within the book.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be honest, the responses to this book hasn't exactly been very positive. I'm wondering if I should get a copy or no, but it's highly unlikely. :/
    I hate when I don't understand a story. It makes me feel utterly dumb and I just want throw the book away. I probably wouldn't have had the courage to start the book all over again.
    I'm not sure if I'll be comfortable with the way the patients at the the hospital are treated.
    You also mentioned a word that's a turn off - instant love.
    I don't understand why authors keep adding them to the story. Can't they just build up the romance slowly ?
    Ughh !
    Thanks for the honest review, Hilda :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen this book around but was never actually interested in reading it. The concept sounds interesting but awwww, that's sad that you still find the book confusing even after finish the book!

    Anyway, awesome review, Hilda! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get why this could be a hit or miss book for readers, I think I would probably find this book a bit confusing and I don't think I could cope with the mental institution parts of the book. But thank you for checking this one out for us and your honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darn it, I love stories about mental institutions. In fact, I've been drawn to them ever since I first saw Girl, Interrupted! but did it have to be ruined with instalove? It's becoming sort of a dealbreaker for me, I just can't get into a book if such a huge and important part is handled poorly.
    The reviews have been all over the place, but I trust your opinion and I don't think this is really for me.
    On a side note, new look again? And again it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm... I was very excited for this book when I first got it but it seems like people are either offended by this book or, like you, liked parts of it but weren't blown away. Plus I don't like the sound of this insta-love - it seems to be stalking me recently. ;) I'm still willing to give it a go and hope I enjoy it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. HMM, I've heard mixed things about it! On one hand, it seems like an interesting premise but on the other, I heard the way they treated mental illness wasn't that great. I feel like I would get lost in this book too! I'm probably going to pass on this book but wonderful review, Hilda. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Confusion when reading a book is THE most annoying thing ever! It's a shame you didn't connect with Ana, I hate it when I can't warm to a protagonist! Somehow, I don't really like when characters 'fall in love' instantly - it just feels far-fetched and utterly ridiculous!

    I was excited about this book before because of the synopsis - I might still give it a try as I sometimes enjoy psychological fiction but I'll probably put it off and just wait for it turn up in the library :)

    Thank you for the beautiful, honest review, Hilda <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Hilda! I have one friend who absolutely loved this book, but the rest of the reviews I've seen have been lukewarm so I was on the fence about reading it! It sounds like such a sweet read, but I hate it when I'm left confused in a world and that tends to be popular in dystopian books. But I actually DO love reading about psychology (since I'm a writer who likes to understand the minds of people), so I think I might have to give it a shot for that exact reason :)

    Thank you so much for the beautiful, thorough, and honest review, Hilda! Your honesty means a lot to me and I'll be sure to take it under wing :') <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...Now I don't know whether to read it LOL I have just started it, and yup, it's really confusing to me. I thought it would be an epic romance of some sorts... (yes, I'm one of those people who likes to read romance in every book!)

    Sad to hear it didn't deliver! But I liked your honest review, Hilda. <3 Now I know more less what to expect with the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book definitely sounds out there. I think I'll have to pass on this one because: 1) I have a really, really strong distaste for instantaneous romances, 2) I can rarely enjoy a book if I can't connect with the main character!, 3) It just doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Thank you so much, Hilda, for your honest review! I'm sorry to hear that it wasn't all that great for you. </3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, I can feel just how much this book annoyed you and let you down. The idea of having to start again after already reading 40 pages really puts me off. Great, honest review, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like a very intense read but I tend to avoid books that confuse me. They just kinda ruin it for me. Great honest review, Hilda (:

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing your opinion so please leave a comment! I will do my best to return the favor, and sometimes I also reply here. Please don't hesitate to share your fabulous thought with me ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...